Saturday, December 29, 2018

The State of 2019

Hello everyone! 2018 is wrapping up, so I wanted to take this time to reflect on what this year has meant for M Disk, and my plans for next year.

2018 REVIEW

First, the Primer series. I am very happy with how that is turning out. I didn't know what kind of reaction I would get, nor would I know how much effort would be put into keeping up with the Primer. But I am very glad I kept with it, and I am glad I finished all the 90s episodes.

At the end of my 1999 episode, I made two major announcements. The first involves SoundCloud , and the second involves the announcement of an 80s edition of the M Disk Playlist VGM Primer. More on both announcements shortly.

The Gauntlet was an experimental side project I wanted to do in support of the Community Game Along. And to my biggest surprise, I enjoyed every second of it. I initially wanted to do playthroughs that offered no commentary, because I know not everyone is a fan of let's plays with commentary. But I discovered that I've gotten more views on my commentary videos, and barely any on the non-commentary ones. So I'm going to scrap the non-commentary versions altogether.

And then there's the third project, the weekly shuffle. Which was where I chose a random theme, and promoted five pieces that fit that theme. That one was tough to keep up with, so I scrapped that.

However....

THE SHUFFLE WILL RETURN

That's right! In my first project completely exclusive to my new SoundCloud, I will be making a new audio-only series where I take a theme, and highlight several different pieces that fit that theme. I am going to take my time with this one, so that I don't try to do so much at once, and then burn out midway through. I am planning on launching the first episode of the Shuffle reboot in the summer.

THE VGM PRIMER
While I managed to finish all the 90s episodes this year, I do not plan on completing the entire 2000s catalog in 2019. The reason for that is mainly because of the 80s VGM Primer that I want to work on next year.

The 80s episode will be a special one, as it will cover 20(!) games spanning the entire decade. I figure that doing it this way would be easier than trying to find ten games with memorable soundtracks from each year of the 80s. I could do more than 20, but right now my heart is set at 20 games for this special episode of the primer.

Also, all previously released, and future releases of the VGM Primer will be coming to the M Disk Soundcloud. I will still upload them to Stitcher/RSS feeds, but I want a convenient place to where anyone can easily stream/look up the audio versions of the Primer episodes.

GAUNTLET
Oh Gauntlet....you brought out a side of me that I didn't think existed. All for apricotsushi's community game along! And I'm going to continue exploiting that madness! Gauntlet will return with brand new themes to challenge, and some returning ones as well!

Highlighted in bold are brand new themes (well, brand new to me at least).

January: Disney Games
February: Dating Sim Games
March: Monster Hunter Series
April: Farming Games
May: Game Freak
June: Yakuza Series
July: JRPGs
August: Fighting Games
September: Sports Games
October: Horror Games
November: Visual Novels
December: Puzzle Games

I have games in mind for each theme, but I don't want to reveal all of them just yet :)

Anywho....that's what I have planned for M Disk in 2019!

GOOD NIGHT AND HAVE A PLEASANT TOMORROW!

No comments:

Post a Comment